Friday 26 September 2008

Project Space with South Camden School

South Camden School visited George Polke gallery on Sept 22nd and were introduced to Kaoru Tsunoda, a Japanese artist who they will be curating in their show at Frieze Art Fair on Oct 17th.

“I have never seen this sort of workshop for teenagers in Japan. There are lots of workshops to encourage creating art but I have never learned how the system works or how an exhibition is organised when I was a kid. It is good to learn those elements in detail and understand art in a different perspective. It helps teenagers get an idea of art as a career and as interdisciplinary learning. It is a fresh dimension for me also.

Their interpretation of my work and questions were so pure and gut reaction without being filled with theory, which is sometime far from art actually happening in front of you.

One of the girls asked me 'Are you a successful artist?' so I said it depends on what you consider as successful. She said 'Money?' then I said 'I am not that successful in that sense.' and she said 'Happiness?' then I said 'I am successful in that sense!' I did not know till I said it!!! It helps me to know my work better and it is amazing to share my work with teenagers for the purpose of education which I have never had chance to get involved with but I always wished I could.”

Kaoru Tsunoda